Sunday, November 23, 2008

Heavy with their drink - drink of color that is.




I've been doing some dying for a banner project. I decided to dye some other fabric while I had the dye pot going. Here's a banner detail on left, and other fabric for the pot on the right.

Here is a basic dyed banner piece . From here I will add other embellishments to fit the subject matter and add some contrast colors.

I either got into a roll or got into an obsessive mode because I am continuing to dye fabric even though the banner part is done (22 banners later). So here are some detailed photos below of the color and textures I have dyed.







This rust colored set was made by wetting fabric in vinegar and laying the cloth to dry on rusted metal.This will take much more experimentation before I get pieces I really like. The piece in the center was laid out on the rusted cutting blades of a defunct paper shredder. Laying the cloth on shaped rusted bits will yield some interesting patterns, but I will wait for warmer weather before doing more. Apparently the weather does not bother the process, but the cold bothers me! This is a job for spring. For now, I'll continue making more pieces inside.

How will I sew the dyed bits together and what will I make with them? I don't know yet! At this point they are hanging on a clothes rack and are feeling 'too precious' to use. If I live with them a little while, I'll get over this feeling and I'll begin sewing them together into something. I'll get back to where I began - back to the old Singer.

9 comments:

Ricë said...

i LOVE the dyed fabric, and the sewing machine is gorgeous, too. congrats on getting it ready to go!

Dayna Collins said...

Ohhh, what fun you've been having! And what a funky, beautiful old sewing machine. Thanks for sharing so much of your projects.

SarahD said...

OOh looks like you have been having a lot of un with these Theresa. Your sewing machine looks amazing!!!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

What an exciting project, your fabrics are gorgeous AND your Singer is a classic beauty, fantastic that you gave it a new lease on life!

R2artstudio said...

All your fabrics are just yummy! And the sewing machine looks like a piece of artwork. I learned to sew on one similar to it, with my grandmother at my side. Wonderful memories. Have fun, with the project.

Robyn said...

I also learned to sew on an old Singer like yours. Your fabrics are gorgeous.....the subtle colour changes and the textures.

Brenda Seaholm-Wampler said...

The colors are just beautiful! As well as the texture. Looks like you are having a bit too much fun!

Kim said...

Wow , you've switched gears on me! Can't wait to see what you create w/ your sweet machine!

Lenna Andrews said...

i love what you are doing for your banners, Theresa! i am still thinking . . . . . your dyeing looks awesome! lenna