Friday, May 1, 2009

May 1 Disintegration Project Reveal

The ground was too cold when I buried the papers so I couldn't dig a deep enough hole to include the metal box.

First reveal.


To check all of the links for this interesting project go check Seth's blog here: http://thealteredpage.blogspot.com/

I may have taken the challenge too literally. My packages were buried in the garden and some papers almost totally disintegrated. There is enough however, to make something from the pieces. I have to figure out a way to get the underground wildlife off them before I can bring them into the house to work with. Suggestions welcomed.

The fabric did well - I will try this again with fabric - colored fabric, fabric laid with rusted metal, white fabric - this has opened good future possibilities. I need the time between now and August to clean up the papers, dry off the mold and de-bug them. Check back on August 1st for the third part of the project - displaying art made from the project papers. Thanks Seth!

May 2 - Got some of the papers laid out a little and opened up - they look promising!

After - Click to enlarge


Before and After - Click to enlarge

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Great pictures Theresa.

Anne, Bulles dorées said...

woooow !! fantastic idea to let it in the ground !! wow

studioJudith said...

You really have me thinking I should take my bundle and bury it ... . as
an intermediate step before I start with an assemblage.
I just want a bit more patina!
Thanks for stopping by my little blog -

Judith

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

burying your bundle was a brilliant idea, I never got that far ;)
You might want to put items in zip lock plastic bags single layers and freeze them for a bit
can't wait to see what you create Theresa!

Judy said...

OMG
I want to play with your project.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Dayna Collins said...

Very cool. I can't wait to unearth my own bundle later today . . .

ArtPropelled said...

It's been a learning experience hasn't it? Try a hair dryer on hot to send the wildlife packing.

Ginny Gaskill said...

By being brave and burying your project you got more disintegration than most of us were able to. Good job!

Unknown said...

Really cool! I love the before and after pictures! I'm thinking some hot sun this summer and UV rays will get the mold - and for you probably your underground critters will just look for a better home :)

theresa martin said...

Good advice - heat and UV rays should remove the bugs and mold. and then put them all in a bag in the freezer to be sure!

TBM said...

Delicious!! I love how your items turned out.

Anonymous said...

awesome~ part compost, part art. i'm eager to see what you'll do with these great papers.

carylsrealm said...

Your papers look great! How have you been? :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, your papers looks great! I like the moldy stuff! It's TOO dry here so no mold for me...but the rusty things are "bleeding". Did you get the bugs/etc off? ech...didn't figure on THAT!
Mine will stay up for awhile...you have more humidity so lucky YOU who gets to "play" already!
Jan

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.